Monday, May 15, 2006

Mother's Day and other oddities

So I awaken early yesterday - as usual - make my coffee, feed the kitties, wander around. My older son (the one at home) had left me a very nice Mother's Day card and that was nice. Some time later the phone rings. I answer to "Is this (my full, ex-married name - mispronounced)?" This puts out my wary signals and I hesitantly answer "yes". The voice on the other end starts in with "This is Frederick Taylor with The International Brotherhood of Grace. We would like..." You know those tele-marketer, tele-evangelist spiels. I don't listen to them. I ALWAYS politely say "We can't help you this year. Good bye." and I HANG UP. ALWAYS. I do this time as well. Not even thinking about it's being Sunday, it's a bit earlier in the day than usual. The phone rings again. VOTOE: "mom, it's me. " So yes, I hung up on MOTHER'S DAY on my son calling me FROM IRAQ!!! Good God, now I will have to listen to the spiels just to confirm it is NOT my son!!! Ev \erything about his call was done so right!! The voice was totally not like his, the accent, the intonations, everything. The rythm and feel of "the spiel"... HAHAHAHAHAHAHA! He got me good.

And now I will have to listen to the telemarketers. It's not that I want to be rude to them, I do not want to be rude to anyone and I know that people are really quite horrid to them and I don't want to be ugly or mean either... I just don't want to buy what ever they are selling, regardless...

We had a good little chat after he called back.

So I guess this post stands as a warning to every mother who has a son (or daughter!) who has a bit of mischief in them. Don't hang up too hastily!

Interestingly enough, when I related this story to my sisters they both thought to tell me "the fruit doesn't fall too far from the tree."

Hmmm.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home