Tuesday, July 04, 2006

America, America

I am so blessed as to be sitting here in my home, at my own computer in air-conditioned comfort. I have electricity (obviously), I have running water, I have food and clothing and shelter and I am as safe as one can be. Surely we have all learned that "safe" is an idea and that no one is truly safe as the evil one (Satan, not UBL {ooh, could that be the same thing??}) can send his minions anywhere at any time and the next breath we take COULD be the last one. And yet, I feel safe and I know that I am as safe as one can be.

And far, far away from here I know my son sits or stands and his "room" may, indeed, have AC, but it's not really home, and I know he is NOT safe and when he goes outside he doesn't have the humid 96 degrees expected here today. He has something like 110 or more and dressed in his BDUs with all manner of kevlar and such he is hot -- damned hot. And he is in danger. Each breath he takes, each beat of his heart....

I love this man, my son. He is my hero. He says that this tour he goes to the pool every day. Good. And does anyone think that means he has this life of leisure and comfort? Then more the fool, they. He stands as a representative of this nation, the United States of America. He stands where far too many do not stand, will not stand, cannot stand. Because of him and those like him we have continued freedom to feel safe, to have a cookout with family members and friends, to shoot off fireworks and ooh and aah over the beauty therein.

This Independence Day think about what those fireworks represent. They represent 230 years of rockets, grenades, bullets, missiles, bombs - what did I miss?? They represent 230 years of brave men - and women - giving their time, their sacrifice, their very life's blood so that we could sit and look at the night sky filled with pretty fireworks display while we drink a beer, a soda, an iced tea, whatever.

My husband is a Viet Nam Vet. His father was a WWII veteran. My son is a combat veteran serving his second tour in Iraq. I know my late mother-in-law, God bless and rest her, cried many bitter, worried tears many years ago when her son was in country. I have cried those same tears. This deployment it is as if I am pretending he isn't over there. But I know he is. I know he tells me he's fine, that it's no big deal, but he is looking forward to mustering out. I know HE knows each moment he is fine. I only know he is fine when I hear from him. Thus pretending he isn't there... I'm not that good at this pretense. I miss him. I love him. I want him home to be full of the mischief and the zest for life that is who he is - oaky part of who he is.

Pray for our service members every day and thank any and every service member, current or former, that you run across. I hear so many so called liberals ranting against the war and that is their right, but stop. You cut into the morale and heart of men and women who DO serve you. They stand in the line of danger so we don't have to. I thank each and every one of them for their valor, for their courage, for their strength. God bless and keep them, every one.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home